1. In the UK mice and rats account for what percentage of all laboratory procedures in 2008 ?
2. You can easily tell the difference between Wistar and Sprague-Dawley rats using DNA markers
False. There are no markers to define Wistar/SD rats
3. Outbred stocks need to be maintained in large breeding colonies to avoid inbreeding
4. Outbred stocks should be preferred in research because humans are outbred
True. In small colonies there will be rapid inbreeding and genetic drift
False. Leaving a major source of inter-individual variability uncontrolled, reduces power and results in more false negative results.
5. Inbred strains are produced by 20 or more generations of brother x sister mating
6. Inbred strains stay genetically constant for many generations and can not be deliberately altered
True. All individuals should trace back to a single breeding pair
True. They are like immortal clones of genetically identical individuals. They can only change as a result of mutation
7. A congenic strain differs from a partner strain at a single locus (plus a few linked genes)
True. They are used to study the effect of the differential gene